Partick Thistle WFC 1-3 Hamilton Academical WFC


Thursday, 5th November 2020, kick off 7.15pm.


Hamilton bounced back from Sunday’s defeat to Glasgow Girls in emphatic style with a sparkling 3-1 victory against Partick Thistle on a frosty bonfire night in the south side of Glasgow.

Georgie McTear got Hamilton off to the perfect start, putting them ahead on the 15th minute before Cheryl Rigden equalised for the home side shortly after the interval. However, Accies showed a tremendous amount of fight and Lauren Evans’ finish was followed by a cracking strike from Kirstie McIntosh to seal the all-important three points.

Assistant manager Bobby Watson gave his thoughts: “It was a very pleasing result after a difficult few days. We were made to work hard for the win which we expected, but a huge amount of credit has to go to the players for picking themselves up after Sunday’s defeat.”

Hamilton had a spring in their step in the early stages and nearly took the lead after just one minute on the clock when Ellie Kane’s strike was well saved by Jade Baillie in the Thistle net.

The early pressure eventually paid off as Accies broke the deadlock on the 15th minute. McTear made a lung-bursting run forward from defence, and after playing it out wide, followed the run into the box and was rewarded for her efforts as she bundled home the rebound after Chloe Muir’s initial header was well saved by Baillie.

Minutes later, Accies almost doubled their lead, this time Muir latching onto McTear’s through-ball and her lobbed effort went just over the crossbar.

The home side’s first chance of the evening arrived midway through the first half when Emma Craig’s flighted free-kick found Taylor McGlashan all by herself inside the six-yard box, but she could only divert her header past the post.

Accies thought they had doubled their advantage early in the second half when Muir’s curling effort was well saved by Baille before the second attempt was tapped home by Amy Anderson, however, it was judged to be offside. They were presented with another chance to extend their advantage shortly after, but Megan Quigley could only head over McIntosh’s teasing delivery.

Hamilton were left to rue their missed opportunities as up the other end Brian Graham’s squad managed to equalise through Cheryl Rigden, as she slammed Claire Docherty’s cut-back into the top corner beyond Lauren Grant.

On the 72nd minute, Accies restored their lead when Lauren Evans forced the ball over the line following an almighty goalmouth scramble and McIntosh wrapped up all three points shortly after when she unleashed a rocket from 30-yards which flew over Baille and burst the back of the net.

The two-quick fire goals ultimately killed the contest as a whole, but this game looks to have kickstarted Hamilton’s season and they will be looking to quickly add another three points to the board on Sunday when they face St Johnstone in Perth.


Partick Thistle: Baillie, Smith, Murphy (Trialist, 67), Falconer, Docherty, McGlashan, Craig, Mulvey (Hawksworth, 72), Gallon, Rigden, Ross

Subs Unused: Andrews, Varnava, Gallacher, Christie, Murray


Goals: Rigden (57)


Hamilton: Grant, Quinn, Connolly, McTear, McIntosh, Anderson, Kane (Gardiner, 53), Molley, Evans (Brown, 84), Muir (McCann, 84), Quigley


Subs Unused: Rhind, Sturrock, Cairney, McCormick


Goals: McTear (15), Evans (72), McIntosh (76)